Dr Andrew McMillan has recently joined our team of podiatrists. Dr McMillan has a specific interest in the use of ultrasonography for guiding anaesthetic and therapeutic injections for treatment of musculoskeletal conditions affecting the foot and ankle. He has a PhD in diagnostic imaging and ultrasound-guided corticosteroid injection for pain under the heel (plantar fasciitis).
Dr McMillan has received many Awards for his achievements:
- DM Myers University Medal (2008)
- La Trobe University (Highest Honours year result in the Faculty of Health Sciences)
- Australian Postgraduate Award (2009-2012) (PhD scholarship)
- Podiatrists Registration Board Award (2008) (Final year podiatry student with the highest overall standard)
He has also recently published the following papers:
- McMillan AM, Landorf KB, Gregg JM, De Luca J, Cotchett MP, Menz HB. Hyperaemia in plantar fasciitis determined by power Doppler ultrasound. Submitted
- McMillan AM, Landorf KB, Gilheany MF, Bird AR, Morrow AD, Menz HB. Ultrasound guided corticosteroid injection for plantar fasciitis: randomised controlled trial. British Medical Journal 2012; 344:e3260
- McMillan AM, Payne CB. Immediate effect of foot orthoses on plantar force timing during running: a repeated measures study. The Foot 2011; 21: 26-30
- McMillan AM, Landorf KB, Gilheany MF, Bird AR, Morrow AD, Menz HB. Ultrasound guided injection of dexamethasone versus placebo for plantar fasciitis: protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research 2010; 3:15
- McMillan AM, Landorf KB, Barrett JT, Menz HB, Bird AR. Diagnostic imaging for chronic plantar heel pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research 2009; 2:32
- McMillan AM, Payne CB. Effect of foot orthoses on lower extremity kinetics during running: a systematic literature review. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research 2008; 1:13
Dr McMillan is an experienced podiatrist. He is also a lecturer at LaTrobe University.